NLAPW-Denver Branch 3/3/2012 Minutes
I. President Diane Chambers, called the meeting to order at 9:35.
II. Members in attendance were: Andrea Antico (present for guest critiques), Diane Chambers, Kelly Ann Compton, Patricia Cox, Florence Elliott, Joice Fairchild, Ann Klaiman, A. Marie Kriss, Sue Luxa, Gwen Scott, Shirley Ann Sheets and Jane Binns.
III. While no guests were present, everyone introduced themselves for the benefit of Jane Binns and Patricia Cox. Patricia shared that her 2nd book, My’s Happy is being published by Create Space.
IV. No inspirational reading was read.
V. The January 2012 minutes were approved as written. (Due to inclement weather, no
meeting was held in February.)
VI. Treasurer Gwen Scott reported payment to Patricia Ross for our January program. Our current balance is $1891.95.
VII. Due to our shortened meeting time today, in anticipation of the guest critiques taking place
after the meeting, committee reports were not shared.
VIII. Outreach Projects:
The Tapestry for Peace was discussed. It was decided that those who could, would go to
Joice’s house at noon on Friday to sew the final panel of the tapestry together. Kelly Ann
offered her sewing machine and self for the project.
IX. Old business: We need a new historian as Sue Luxa is not able to continue this endeavor.
X. New Business:
• Election results– President, Diane Chambers
Vice President, TBA
Secretary & Treasurer, Kelly Ann Compton
• Speaker/Activity Schedule for the rest of this year:
• April’s meeting will take place at Kelly Ann’s house. The pre-meeting critique will actually be a viewing of Joice’s first draft of the Tapestry for Peace DVD. Our speaker after the business meeting will be Carol Denker. A lunch of soup will be provided; bring your own sandwich if you want a sandwich with your soup.
• May will be a field trip touring Frederick Printing near Chambers and I-70 followed by lunch at a nearby restaurant. Further information will be given at our April meeting.
• June – Planning meeting
• Sue Luxa’s bio was seen on our NLAPW Denver Branch website and she has been offered
an opportunity for giving a school presentation.
•Gwen has been doing historical reenactments during Black History month (February) and has
also been working with Place Bridge Academy in writing.
• Please contact Kelly Ann if you would like to have something critiqued before our June
XII. The meeting was adjourned at 9:55.
Following our meeting, we hosted critique sessions for guests, which was well attended. Several of the guests showed interest in possibly joining NLAPW. A delicious luncheon was provided by Kriss. Thanks, Kriss!
Kelly Ann Compton, Secretary