NEWSLETTER OF THE DENVER BRANCH
NATIONAL LEAGUE OF AMERICAN PEN WOMEN
1. CALL TO ORDER—President Diane Chambers. In attendance were Andrea Antico, Diane Chambers, Sandy Chapman, Patricia Cox, Florence Elliott, Pat Kennedy, Ann Klaiman, Marie Kriss, Sue Luxa, Debbie McCulliss, Paula Pahl, Nancy Peterson, Gwen Scott, Shirley Ann Sheets, and Virginia Small.
MINUTES OF THE MEETING, DECEMBER 4, 2010:
2. INSPIRATIONAL READING—Kriss (poetic excerpt from THINK and GROW RICH)
3. No GUESTS. Members signed a card to be sent to Jane Carpenter who moved to WA.
4. TREASURER’S REPORT—Gwen (no change). Balance in treasury $1991.18.
5. COMMITTEE REPORTS
• Website – Virginia discussed the owl contest and her correspondence with National. She said some improvements are being made with connections between Denver Branch and the website, but progress is slow and some things are intrinsic the site and can’t be changed. Soon there will be new templates and interfaces.
• Peace Tapestry—Ann. A panel book from 2006 featuring the project was passed around. There was discussion about a permanent home for the tapestry, all 66 panels, as displayed, as opposed to plans within NLAPW which at one time proposed possible removal of some panels.
• Discussion about previous fund-raising projects ensued.
• Program— Andrea agreed to be chair of the Programming Committee. She spoke about her visit to Place Bridge Academy. She and Gwen will talk with personnel at the school and report to the group in Jan. about the school’s need for supplies, how members can help with programs, etc. [See details about January’s meeting below.] Patricia Cox will be February’s speaker. Gwen will speak about her book at the April meeting. The May meeting will probably include a visit to Fairmount Cemetery.
6. NEW BUSINESS– A future trip to the Western history Department at DPL was discussed.
7. MEETING ADJOURNED at 12:30 p.m.
Respectfully submitted, Andrea Antico, Member
DECEMBER PROGRAM: Holiday Potluck and Book Exchange
UPCOMING JANUARY MEETING
SATURDAY, JANUARY 8, 2011
PRE-MEETING CRITIQUING SESSION
PROGRAM: DISCUSSION OF POSSIBLE BRANCH PROJECTS
• January’s meeting will be at CAFE DE FRANCE AT 10:00 A.M. Café De France is at 8081 East Orchard Road, Greenwood Village. The café is located in the Marilyn Hickey Building at I-25 and Orchard.
• Interested members will meet at 9:15 A.M. FOR A CRITIQUING SESSION. Electronic copies may be sent to members before the meeting.
• The meeting’s discussion will focus on the possibility of our branch PURSUING A PROJECT to benefit the community and/or to raise money for the branch. Supporting a school writing program and launching an artists’ fair are two ideas that have surfaced.