National League of American Pen Women–Denver Branch
October 5, 2013
I. Diane Chambers called the meeting to order at 10:20 AM.
II. Members in attendance were: Sophia Baldwin, Sue Luxa, Marie Kriss, Beverly Chico, Nancy Peterson, Donna Clark, Andrea Antico, Lorrie Reed, Jody Hinrichs, Laurel Jean Becker, Kelly Ann Compton, Diane Chambers, Mollie Rue, Virginia Small, and Florence Elliott.
III. The Inspirational Readings were a poem about a bug read by Florence and a poem about light recited by guest, Diane Akins
IV. Guests in attendance were: Virginia Daily, Alex Hirst, and Diane Akins
V. The September Minutes were approved as written.
VI. The September Treasurer’s Report was accepted. Our current balance is $2,548.00.
VII. Committee Reports:
A. Website: No Report
B. Membership, Auditor, Budget:
1. A budget of $250 for brochures and bookmarks was approved.
2. As a thank you to Julie, the woman housing the Tapestry for Peace, it was approved to send her a plant and letter around Thanksgiving.
C. Tapestry for Peace:
1. Two museums and a college in Buffalo, New York are interested in taking the tapestry.
2. Kriss is writing a proposal that includes the tapestry’s history. Molly volunteered to help Kriss with the paperwork preparation.
3. Kriss mails the history to us and asks that we look at it and add to it or make suggestions on format.
4. It is agreed that we want our branch to be in charge of repairs on the tapestry before we ship it anywhere.
D. Programs: Kriss and Andrea are looking into facilities to hold our meetings. We are looking for free or inexpensive.
1. November—Polly Letofsky, author of The Adventures of One Woman’s Walk Around the world and owner of My Word Publishing, Self-Publishing Project Management & Consulting
2. December—Holiday party, book exchange, and pot luck at Gwen Scott’s house.
3. January—Sophia will present on her book, A Lebanese Immigrant’s Daughter
4. February—Kathryn Winograd from the creative writing department at ACC will speak on publishing or will do a workshop on Lyric Essay.
5. March–Guest Critiques
6. April & May — TBA
7. June–Planning meeting
VIII. Outreach Project Updates
A. Bessie’s Hope: No report.
B. Artists’ Fairs: The Dakota Ridge High School Craft Fair is on October 12 & 13.
IX. Old Business: Ruthy has paid for the FNO (Fair Networking Organization) and we, as agreed, have paid Ruthy $25 which is half of the cost.
X. New Business:
A. Diane reported on the Fall Intensive Critique Group.
B. Kelly Ann will look up the names of those Pen Women who are on the committee regarding putting together a collection of our work.
XI. Branch Announcements: Dr. Beverly Chico’s Hats and Headwear Around the World: A Cultural Encyclopedia was released on September 30. Congratulations, Dr. Chico!
XII. The meeting was adjourned at 11:05.
Today’s meeting was followed with a presentation by Dr. Phil Goodstein on the ghosts of Denver and on many of his books.
Kelly Ann Compton, Secretary
Webmistress note: The following are photos from the Dakota Ridge HS craft fair on October 12-13, 2013.