JUNE 2011

DENVER BRANCH
NATIONAL LEAGUE OF AMERICAN PEN WOMEN
MINUTES OF THE BUSINESS MEETING, JUNE 4, 2011

President Diane Chambers called the meeting to order at 10:54 a.m. We met at the Café de France at Orchard and I-25.

Members in attendance: Kelly Ann Compton, Florence Elliott, Joice Fairchild, Virginia Small, Marie Kriss, Sue Luxa, Gwen Scott, Andrea Antico, Diane Chambers and Sheila Wright.

Kriss read an inspirational piece called “An Old Cherokee Tale of Two Wolves.”

The April 2011 minutes were approved.

Treasurer’s Report:
• MAY AND JUNE TREASURER’S REPORT: Gwen reported a May 7, 2011 balance of $1,882.12 with an income of $8.00 and expenses of $104. Our June balance is $2,287.17 which includes income totaling $1335.01 and expenses of $930. The majority of June’s income and expenses were membership and National dues related. The treasurer’s reports were approved.
• PROJECTOR: The group discussed whether we should pay Paula Pahl the full $300 we owe her in one installment or not. It was agreed that it makes the most sense to do this as Paula may not be continuing her membership with NLAPW.
• The PROJECTED 2011-2012 BUDGET was presented by Kriss.
• We will NEED A NEW TREASURER come our next elections in February, 2012. Gwen will continue until as treasurer until then.

Committee Reports:
• MEMBERSHIP: Kriss reported that we have 13 active members, 4 associate members, 2 provisional members and 7 emeritus members. She proposed that we honor Jane Carpenter with emeritus membership.
• Discussion was held concerning the possibility of holding a GUEST CRITIQUE SESSION in November as well as in the spring. We agreed that we should continue our relationships with Lifelong Learning, DU-University College and Arapahoe Community College.
• HOSPITALITY: Diane shared that we need someone to take over Hospitality. Kelly offered to take charge of the projector. Diane will keep the hospitality materials for now.

Project Updates:
• With all of our community involvement going on, Diane made up a form for each group to complete to REPORT TO NATIONAL what we are doing.
• BESSIE’S HOPE: Kriss and Kelly shared their experience with Bessie’s Hope doing a writing workshop with a group at St. Andrews Village in Aurora. They shared that they definitely would like more members to become involved in this. They shared that they need at least four people at each session. Kelly offered to send an e-mail to inform members of the next date. We hope to do a session at least once a month. Also, Kelly still intends to work one-on-one with someone on writing through Bessie’s Hope.
• BRIDGE PLACE ACADEMY: Andrea and Gwen shared their hope for ongoing involvement with the school. They explained how to become a volunteer with Denver Public Schools. At Bridge Academy, Friday are literacy days; all the students are non-English speakers. Andrea and Gwen worked both with teachers and students. They are looking at the possibility of helping with book costs next year. They also have worked on their proposal/report to send to National about their experience. Kriss suggested submitting something to The Denver Post. Gwen stated that working with Bridge Place Academy is a very infectiously positive experience!
• MARKET DAYZ IN CONIFER: Our registration of $100 has been sent in for the August 28th event. The hours of the event are from 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. Denver Branch members working in the booth need to be there by 8 a.m. to help set up. Diane passed out applications to be completed by those who wish to sell products.

Old Business:
• Joice shared that THE TAPESTRY FOR PEACE is currently at her house. She shared that this project needs new energy and hopefully in the fall we can find it a permanent home. One panel is in Florida and one panel still needs to be sewn in. We discussed the possibility of holding one of our meetings at Joice’s house so we can all see the tapestry. Sue will contact Bemis Public Library in Littleton about the possibility of them displaying the tapestry along their very long stair rail. The tapestry is 264’ long, so wherever it finds a home has to have lots of space—or at least a very long space.

New Business:
• We passed around and signed a GET-WELL card for Pat Kennedy.
• We voted and passed the motion to give Jane Carpenter EMERITUS STATUS with the Denver Branch.
• News from National: Diane shared many bits of information
o She shared updated information concerning the BIENNIAL CONVENTION coming up next year. They are asking for us to complete a Needs Assessment online.
o A LETTER FROM OUR LEAGUE PRESIDENT Jean Homes was read regarding circulating emails that share misinformation regarding current staff and issues with the previous president. The letter also included some information regarding the NLAPW building in Washington D.C.

The meeting was adjourned at 1:10 p.m.

Following the meeting, we held a discussion proposing programs and activities for the 2011-2012 meeting year.

Respectfully submitted by Kelly Ann Compton, Secretary