August, 2013

National League of American Pen Women–Denver Branch
Meeting Minutes
August 3, 2013

I. Diane Chambers called the meeting to order at 10:15 AM.
II. Members in attendance were: Sophia Baldwin, Diane Chambers, Donna Clark, Kelly Ann Compton, Vickie Drake, Florence Elliott, Pat Kennedy, A. Marie Kriss, Sue Luxa, Nancy Peterson, Lorrie Reed, Jo’el Roth, Virginia Small, and Sheila Wright.
III. Everybody introduced themselves welcoming new member Jo’el Roth.
IV. Lorrie read two short Inspirational Readings.
V. The July Minutes were approved as written.
VI. The July Treasurer’s Report was accepted. Our current balance is $2,603.45.
VII. Committee Reports:
A. Website: Virginia asked that the new members send her a picture and bio for the website. Also, some people have been experiencing strange happenings to the text when looking at our website. Virginia suggested that if this happens, try a new browser. If it still happens, let her know.
B. Membership, Auditor, Budget: Kriss hopes to have the new budget ready for our September meeting. Our membership is now 36 members. This number includes all types of membership.
C. Programs:
1. September—Panel discussion of experiences on getting published. Panel includes Gwen Scott, Nancy Peterson, Ruthy Wexler, Jodi Glittenberg, and Vickie Drake.
2. October—It was agreed to invite Phil Goodstein to speak. The other option is to meet at a haunted historical house.
3. November—Sophia will present on her book, A Lebanese Immigrant’s Daughter.
4. December—Holiday party, book exchange, and pot luck at Gwen Scott’s house.
VIII. Outreach Project Updates
A. Bessie’s Hope: Kelly Ann has not been able to get in touch with Stephanie at St. Andrew’s Village. She will continue to try so we can get back to volunteering there.
B. Artists’ Fairs:
A. The Conifer Elevation Celebration participation was a success. Everyone present sold something. In the Conifer newspaper, there was a picture of our own Ruthy Denker/Wexler drawing one of her portraits.
B. For the Conifer fair on November 2, the application deadline was July 23. Diane sent an e-mail to see if we could still apply for a booth, but has yet to hear back.
IX. Old Business:
A. The future of the Tapestry for Peace was discussed. Much talk has occurred with the possibility of giving the tapestry to a museum in New York, but all the details have been very fuzzy. Kriss read an e-mail she sent to Diane expressing her thoughts on the matter. The main thoughts included were: We should step back from a contract and issue a written Request for Proposal (RFP) to any of the interested museums in Buffalo (or elsewhere). The RFP could include a description and history of the tapestry with a copy of the CD about it, an offer to donate and insure delivery of the tapestry to the chosen/interested appropriate venue with certain duration and care terms are met which might include things such as a permanent home, suitable type of display/exhibit setting, statement of intent to preserve, a statement of how the display would be promoted along with an idea of the public traffic it should be expected to draw, et cetera. Also, our NLAPW-Denver Branch should be the ones to donate it to a venue as the tapestry was planned, assembled, funded and preserved by our branch. This would be done with National’s approval/cooperation and whatever coordination assistance they might be able to provide. The committee to put together the RFP will include Kriss, Gwen, Kelly Ann, Sheila, and Joice.
X. New Business:
A. We have a new location and time for our September and October meetings. We will meet at the Southglenn Library (6972 South Vine, Centennial, CO 80122) from 10:00-1:00.
B. No report yet from the committee in charge of researching the possibility of our branch putting together a collection of our work.
C. The Summer Intensive Critique Group is going well. They meet on alternating Thursdays and Saturdays. The current group feels that a group of six seems to be a good number. A larger group might prove to be overwhelming as there is a lot of reading to do each week and with a larger group, an individual might not have as many chances to be critiqued. The current group is considering continuing to meet after the eight weeks. If there is enough interested, a second group could be started.
XI. Branch Announcements:
A. The Denver Writers Meet-Up group is putting together an anthology of writings by Denver authors. For more information contact Alice Aldridge Dennis at 303-660-1865. The website for the group is: denverwritersmeetup@yahoo.com
B. Writer’s Digest offers good information if you sign up to receive their e-mails.
C. The Castle Rock Writers Conference scheduled for November is not yet taking registration. They are hoping to be ready some time this month.
XII. The meeting was adjourned at 11:15.

Nancy Peterson

Nancy Peterson

 

Today’s presenter was our own Nancy Peterson. She spoke on doing historical research for fiction and nonfiction writing. Thank you Nancy for a very informative and interesting program!

Respectively submitted,
Kelly Ann Compton, Secretary


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This blog is kept spam free by WP-SpamFree.